Jan 30, 2018
So they pronounce their “t’s,” but not their “r’s.” What other
differences are there between American choirs and our English
friends? Victoria Hopkins, one of the creators and hosts of the
Total Choir Resources Podcast chats with Ryan about the point of
rehearsals, “note bashing,” workplace choirs, and first aid kits.
It truly is inspiring to hear about the the growth of community
choirs in the UK. Plus, Victoria has a special gift just for Choir
Ninja listeners, so make sure you check out this week’s show notes!
iTunes] [Subscribe on Android]
Highlight to Tweet:
“Rehearsal is for the leader
to get the choir from point A to point B in a way that’s engaging
and improves the performance of the music.” - Victoria Hopkins
- Total Choir Resources has been around for 6 years. It was
created out of frustration for lack of resources for the day to day
managing of their choirs by Victoria and her friend Christine
Mulgrew. It started as a blog, then developed a podcast about 5
years ago. It is geared to those in leadership positions in choirs,
but who have little or no formal training.
- What is the point of rehearsal?
- The point of rehearsal is for the leader to get the choir from
point A to point B in a way that’s engaging and useful, and
improves the performance of the music.
- Also, to get to performance at the right time, neither
under-rehearsed nor over-rehearsed.
- Everyone needs to go into rehearsal with a plan.
- “Note Bashing” - the early stages of rehearsal.
- Recorded rehearsal tracks are available for everything. It
provides extra help for those who need it.
- Don’t let a section sit doing nothing for very long. Have
everyone sing on whatever part your are working. (It reinforces
sight-singing, and keeps people engaged. Can’t chat while
- Join the right community choir. Not every choir is the right
fit for every singer.
- Workplace choirs are becoming more popular in England.
- The Choir Rehearsal First Aid Kit. Get rehearsals back on
Victoria Hopkins is a co-founder of Total Choir Resources, an
online home for new and developing choir leaders, offering
inspirational ebooks, online courses and choral music to a
worldwide audience. Victoria leads a chamber choir in her home
village on the south coast of England.
Sight Reading Factory (Use
promo code “NINJA” at checkout for 10 free student
accounts!) My Music Folders (Use
promo code “NINJA” at checkout for “last column” or
best pricing - usually reserved for
bulk purchases only!)